Date:      Sun, 26 Jul 1998 16:05:10 -0400
From:      Gk <KillG@erols.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   atapi cd-rom and atapi zip drive

Hi,
I installed an internal iomega ATAPI ide zip drive last weekend, and my
internal ide atapi cd-rom has
been inaccesable under Free-BSD since then.

I have a shell script that I used to mount the cd-rom, the script was

#!/bin/sh
mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/wcd0a /cdrom

Whenever I try this free-bsd just sits there, sometimes it hangs after a
few minutes sometimes not.
The process is visible by ps aux or top but is not killable by kill or
even kill -9, it also doesn't consume any
cpu or ram.

I'm a big music person and I hate to work on the computer in scilence.
I hate to admit it, but I hate working without music so much that
sometimes I just have to switch to dreaded windows just to kill the
silence. (btw both the
cd-rom and zip drive work fine under windows 95).

Here is my dmesg
------

Copyright (c) 1992-1998 FreeBSD Inc.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
        The Regents of the University of California.  All rights
reserved.

FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE #0: Wed Jul 22 22:04:39 EDT 1998
    root@gk.erols.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/DABOMB
CPU: Pentium (199.90-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x544  Stepping=4
  Features=0x8001bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,MMX>
real memory  = 33554432 (32768K bytes)
avail memory = 30478336 (29764K bytes)
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0 <Intel 82437VX PCI cache memory controller> rev 2 on pci0:0:0
chip1 <Intel 82371SB PCI-ISA bridge> rev 1 on pci0:7:0
chip2 <Intel 82371SB IDE interface> rev 0 on pci0:7:1
vga0 <VGA-compatible display device> rev 6 int a irq 12 on pci0:9:0
vx0 <3COM 3C905 Fast Etherlink XL PCI> rev 0 int a irq 11 on pci0:11:0
mii[*mii*]: disable 'auto select' with DOS util! address
00:60:08:c5:eb:2f
Probing for PnP devices:
CSN 1 Vendor ID: CTL009c [0x9c008c0e] Serial 0x0005dee1
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A
lpt0 at 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
lp0: TCP/IP capable interface
lpt1 not found at 0xffffffff
fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
fdc0: FIFO enabled, 8 bytes threshold
fd0: 1.44MB 3.5in
wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <WDC AC34000L>
wd0: 3815MB (7814016 sectors), 7752 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc0: unit 1 (wd1): <WDC AC35100L>
wd1: 4924MB (10085040 sectors), 10672 cyls, 15 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <CRD-8160B/1.04>, removable, accel, dma, iordis
wdc1: unit 1 (atapi): <IOMEGA  ZIP 100       ATAPI/23.D>, removable,
intr, iordis
ie0: unknown board_id: f000
ie0 not found at 0x300
sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
sb0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.16>
awe0 at 0x620 on isa
AWE32 not found
AWE32: not detected

sbxvi0 at 0x0 drq 5 on isa
sbxvi0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.16>
sbmidi0 at 0x330 on isa
 <SoundBlaster MPU-401>
opl0 at 0x388 on isa
opl0: <Yamaha OPL-3 FM>
npx0 flags 0x1 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
changing root device to wd1s1a
Intel Pentium F00F detected, installing workaround

---------my kernel config file

machine         "i386"
#cpu            "I386_CPU"
#cpu            "I486_CPU"
cpu             "I586_CPU"
#cpu            "I686_CPU"
ident           DABOMB
maxusers        10

#options                MATH_EMULATE            #Support for x87
emulation
options         SYSVSHM
options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         IPX
#options                IPFIREWALL
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         NFS                     #Network Filesystem
options         MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS Filesystem
options         "EXT2FS"
options         "CD9660"                #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
options         "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP
THIS!]
options         SCSI_DELAY=15           #Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI
device
options         BOUNCE_BUFFERS          #include support for DMA bounce
buffers
options         UCONSOLE                #Allow users to grab the console

options         FAILSAFE                #Be conservative
options         USERCONFIG              #boot -c editor
options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor

config          kernel  root on wd0

controller      isa0
controller      eisa0
controller      pci0

controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector
fdintr
disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
disk            fd1     at fdc0 drive 1
tape            ft0     at fdc0 drive 2

options         "CMD640"        # work around CMD640 chip deficiency
controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
disk            wd1     at wdc0 drive 1

controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
disk            wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
disk            wd3     at wdc1 drive 1

options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM
controller      wcd0
device          wcd0            #IDE CD-ROM
#device         wfd0            #IDE floppy (LS-120)

# A single entry for any of these controllers (ncr, ahb, ahc, amd) is
# sufficient for any number of installed devices.
#
# Note: The dpt driver is present in this release but was left disabled
# due to its relatively late entry (it's almost certainly benign to
enable
# it but we didn't want to risk any chance of destabilizing 2.2.6).  To
# enable DPT support, uncomment the dpt0 controller entry and the two
# options DPTOPT and DPT_MEASURE_PERFORMANCE entries below.

controller      ncr0
controller      amd0
controller      ahb0
controller      ahc0
#controller     dpt0

#options                DPTOPT                  # will go away soon
#options                DPT_MEASURE_PERFORMANCE # just enable for now
#options                DPT_VERIFY_HINTR        # Some hardware must
have it!
#options                DPT_TRACK_CCB_STATES    # Some hardware must
have it!
#options                DPT_HANDLE_TIMEOUTS     # Some hardware must
have it!
#options                DPT_TIMEOUT_FACTOR=4    # Some hardware needs
more

controller      scbus0

device          sd0

device          od0     #See LINT for possible `od' options.

device          st0

device          cd0     #Only need one of these, the code dynamically
grows

#controller     matcd0  at isa? port 0x230 bio
controller      pnp0
controller      snd0

device          sb0     at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 conflicts drq1 vector
sbintr
device          awe0    at isa? port 0x620
device          sbxvi0  at isa? drq 5
device          sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330
device          opl0    at isa? port 0x388

device          sc0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr

# Mandatory, don't remove
device          npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" flags 0x1 irq 13 vector
npxintr

device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
device          sio2    at isa? disable port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5 vector
siointr
device          sio3    at isa? disable port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9 vector
siointr

device          lpt0    at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr
device          lpt1    at isa? port? tty

device de0
device fxp0
device tx0
device vx0

device ie0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xd0000 vector ieintr

pseudo-device   loop
pseudo-device   ether
pseudo-device   log
pseudo-device   sl      1
pseudo-device   ppp     1
pseudo-device   vn      1
pseudo-device   tun     1
pseudo-device   pty     16
pseudo-device   gzip            # Exec gzipped a.out's

options         SYSVSHM
-----------

My current setup is-
free-bsd 2.2.6
P200
32 megs of ram
200 megs of swap

My ide setup is-
    first ide cable
        windows 4 gig hdd - master
        freebsd (1.5 gig partition, swap 200 meg partition)  out of a
5.1 gig hdd
    second ide cable
        atapi cd-rom -master
        iomega atap zip -slave

Is there any reason that a conflict might occur by having 2 atapi
devices on the same ide cable?

I dont' even wish to use my zip drive while under free-bsd, what is the
best way to disable it? ( i already
took out the config lines in the kernel config file). I would just
remove the zip drive but it is required for
college next year.

I also removed the ide cable from the zip drive, and the cd-rom worked
perfectly, so I know the zip drive
has some influence.  I have also tried setting the zip drive to master
and the cd to slave.. it has not effect tho.
Also, when I try "cdcontrol -f /dev/wcd0c" and then execute "play" while
in cdcontrol to listen to a cd, cdcontrol
hangs just as mount does(cdcontrol tends to make free-bsd crash more
than mount tho).

If anybody has any suggestions as to how I can make my cd rom work again
while keeping my zip drive
installed (i don't care if I can't access it under free-bsd) I would
greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

-Gk

P.S. on a side note, when i boot with -c and go into the visual kernel
configuration how come I don't see a wcd
device? is there no such thing?