Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:29:24 +0200
From:      Sten Daniel Soersdal <netslists@gmail.com>
To:        Steve Bertrand <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>
Cc:        mattr@eagle.ca, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quagga as border router

Steve Bertrand wrote:
  > Can you please explain in a technical way how polling can benefit me
> here in a dual-stacked situation? In all honesty, the last few months,
> I've been seeing many mails to the lists saying 'polling' has caused
> issues. (I'm not arguing, I'm just looking for reason ;)

I'm not saying you should use polling. I'm saying that not using polling
makes for more context switches. 64bit registers are twice as large as
32bit registers. There will be a bigger penalty on stack/memory usage
and therefore slower transitions from one context to another (read:
handling a packet).
This might be mitigated by having a very large cpu cache.

It may or may not make much of a difference considering stacks are
aligned, i was just theorizing.

>> But that could imply that you are going to do attempt active load
>> balancing on those two peer links. If so, you should be aware that such
>> load balancing must be done manually by some other method (pf? ng?)
>
> No plan on load balancing. It's all based on 100% failover.
>
> Thank you for the input, so if I ever do need to do load balancing, it
> has been already planned in a manual configuration as you stated,
> however via BGP. I'll break up my aggregate as an absolute LAST resort.
> (Essentially, in regards to v4, I will NOT advertise anything smaller
> than my allocated block...period).

Just curious: Is there a reason you can't advertise your entire
allocated block and receive two full feeds?

--
Sten Daniel Soersdal