Date:      Thu, 8 May 1997 11:40:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com>
To:        deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org (Daniel M. Eischen)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UPS - Which one(s) to buy?

Daniel M. Eischen said:

>What UPS systems are being sucessfully used with FreeBSD?  I've got
>a heterogenous network of NT PCs, FreeBSD PCs, and Sun workstations.
>Minimally, I'd like to ensure our Sun server, 2 FreeBSD PCs, and NT server
>systems (4 total) are covered.  So I'd like to get UPS systems that are
>compatible with all three systems.
>
>Our current network has:
>
>  4 Suns
>  2 PCs (FreeBSD)
>  6 PCs (NT)
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Dan Eischen
>deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org

I have had good results with the APC BK400B. I would suggest that that you
should get a model that has the UPS montering features. I think the BK400B
is the lowest end that supports this feature.

The power montering feature will allow your UNIX system to detect when the
wall power has disappeared and begin an orderly shutdown. This requires a
special cable that APC sell and upcd. I can't find the URL for upcd just
now. I will post it later.

Be careful when picking out a UPC from APC. Their sales literature is
slightly deceptive. They make recommendations for which UPS you should buy
based on power requirements of you machine however this includes the
assumption that you are going to be connecting your monitor and laser
printer to the same UPS. One should _NEVER_ connect a laser printer to the
same UPS as a computer. When a laser printer starts up the power drain is
enormous.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch        |   Another day closer to a   |    FreeBSD 2.2.1
jgrosch@sirius.com  |     Micro$oft free world    | UNIX for the masses