Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 22:09:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mysterious lockup

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Cliff Addy wrote:

> I have a 2.2.2 server that has been quite happy for many months.
> Suddenly, last week, I began getting intermittent lockups. It runs fine
> for anywhere from a few hours to a few days and then BLAM it's dead.
> There is *nothing* on the console or in the logs of any problems, it just
> suddenly stops responding to anything but a ping.

You still have ping, so the network stack is still functioning, so it's
not completely dead.

I would recommend keeping tabs on:

top # for memory leaking processes
netstat -m # for mbuf usage
pstat -T # for file usage

If these get out of hand then the system could be spewing error messages
but you can't see them.

If you want to learn how, the proper solution would be to compile in DDB
and drop to DDB when it freezes.  At least from DDB you can poke around a
bit.  But this is a procedure that even I don't know how to use :)