Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 14:41:22 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Mobile <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: interesting pcmcia card behavior...

Nate Williams scribbled this message on Nov 11:

> > > What happenned there?  Did you wait about 5-10 seconds for things to get
> > > done?  Define 'no go' please.
> >
> > I get a:
> > Card inserted, slot 0
> >
> > then nothing else...  if I remove the card, then reinsert it...  then
> > it comes up fine..
>
> Hmm, it *should* work fine at this point, but I can see where it might
> not.  (Again, it's based on my 'fake' insertion message which would get
> pccardd confused.)

is there any way to make sure that there IS a card in before sending the
message?

> > I might take a look at what's up, but the major problem is that I don't
> > have enough hard disk space on my notebook (340megs isn't much), and
> > working/looking at code over a 500ms latency connection isn't fun...
>
> You only need the kernel/include sources online, which are about
> 20-30MB, plus another 10MB for the 'built' kernel.

yeh.. but right now I only have 2.2megs free on the FreeBSD side, and
7megs on the dos side (need winblows for business :( )...

> > > *shot in the dark*
> > >
> > > Can you try (before doing a suspend) enabling the pcic_resume sysctl and
> > > see if that makes any difference?
> >
> > that makes it work the first time I insert the card..
>
> But not after the suspend?  Didn't it always work the first time you

sorry, I should of said, makes it work the first time I insert the card
after a suspend in which I removed the card durning the suspend...

> inserted the card, since the resume sysctl is never even in the picture
> until suspend/resume.

problem:
a)	insert card, it all works
b)	suspend system
c)	remove card while system is suspended
d)	resume system
e)	insert card, I get Card inserted message, but nothing else.
f)	remove card, and insert again, and it works...

but I think f might be because of the pcic_resume...  even though a-f
happens with it equal 0, I did set it equal to 1 once, and during that
time e would work fine...

I'll have to see what I can do when I'm at home...  thanks for the help
though...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD