Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 2000 18:52:36 -0400
From:      Ted Sikora <tsikora@home.com>
To:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPPoE

--------------5D9A4CE94853DBE972D446E0

William Wong wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Does anyone know if there are plans to support PPPoE outta the box? (without
> recompiling the kernel)  I'm not sure how many people are affected by this,
> but not being able to do a PPPoE install from the boot disks is a bugger.

Here's a HOWTO for PPPoe

--
Ted Sikora
Jtl Development Group

FreeBSD PPPoE HOWTO

FreeBSD Requirements for PPPoE

Be sure that you have a version of userppp that supports PPPoE. Please note
that userppp is included in FreeBSD. It is not add-on software. Recent
FreeBSD releases should be fine.

Any -CURRENT, -STABLE and -RELEASE versions of FreeBSD should be able to
support PPPoE. FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT and 3.3-STABLE releases have been tested
and found to work.

Configuring FreeBSD Kernel for PPPoE

In order to support PPPoE, three lines must be added at the end of the
FreeBSD kernel file. Beginners with no idea how to compile a kernel, please
read the following carefully. For more experienced users who know how to
compile a kernel, just see step 3 below and add the three lines to your
kernel.

  1. First you must change to the kernel configuration directory:

     cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf

  2. In the kernel configuration directory, use your favorite text editor
     and edit the kernel file. For example, if you use emacs, you would
     type:

     vi KERNEL

  3. Go to the end of the kernel file and add the following three lines:

     options NETGRAPH
     options NETGRAPH_PPPOE
     options NETGRAPH_SOCKET

  4. After adding these three lines, save the modified kernel file.

  5. Type this command to set the kernel configuration:

     config KERNEL

  6. Now you must change to the kernel setup directory:

     cd ../../compile/KERNEL

  7. In the kernel setup directory, type the following three commands:

     make depend
     make
     make install

Your kernel is now ready for PPPoE!

Configuring FreeBSD /etc/ppp/ppp.conf File

To edit the /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file, just use your favorite text editor.
Replace any existing file content with the lines below. Be sure the "set
device PPPoE:---" line is correct for your network interface card. (We used
ed1 for the NIC in this example.) Change the authname and authkey to your
sympatico user id (b1xxxxxx) and your password.

     # /etc/ppp/ppp.conf

     default:
     set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
     nat enable yes
     nat same_ports yes
     nat use_sockets yes
     set redial 15 28800
     set reconnect 15 28800

     pppoe:
     set device PPPoE:ed1:
     set mru 1492
     set mtu 1492
     set speed sync
     enable lqr
     set lqrperiod 5
     set cd 5
     set dial
     set login
     set timeout 0
     set authname b1xxxxxx@sympatico.ca
     set authkey yourpassword
     set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
     add default HISADDR
     enable dns

     # end of ppp configuration

Configuring FreeBSD /etc/rc.conf  File

The /etc/rc.conf file should be set up as follows for the ethernet interface
that goes to your DSL modem. (Again, this example uses ed1 for the NIC.)

     # /etc/rc.conf

     network_interfaces="auto"   #Set network interfaces automatically
     ifconfig_ed1="inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0 -arp up"
     ppp_enable="YES"             #This enables PPP on startup
     (recommended)
     ppp_mode="background"
     ppp_profile="pppoe"

     #end of  /etc/rc.conf

Rebooting the System

After you have compiled the kernel to support PPPoE and have edited the
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf and /etc/rc.conf files with the right configuration, you
can reboot your system. If you enabled ppp in the /etc/rc.conf as
recommended, you should be connected and can now enjoy surfing the net on
FreeBSD using PPPoE.

Starting PPP Manually

If you did not enable ppp to automatically connect on startup in the
/etc/rc.conf file, you can use this command to connect to the Internet
manually:

     ppp -background pppoe