Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 21:55:54
From:      "Michael G." <mikegoe@earthlink.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: environment

I missed your original post..but I had the same environment problem when I
started using xdm (where .login was not being read) and found the
following in the archives:

<snip>

>         Is the <XDIR>/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession file where I'd set global
> settings for this?  I'd like all users to start out with the same path,
> MANPATH, etc ...

Yup.  Start off your Xsession file like this:

#!/bin/sh

PATH=3D/bin:/usr/local/bin...; export PATH
MANPATH=3D/usr/share/man...; export MANPATH

[ rest of Xsession ]

Each is just a colon-delimited list of directories.  You can set other
environment variables there, too.  The users' shells will read in the
path information (whether they're using csh, bash, etc.).  Remember not
to include a relative path specification (don't include '.' in the path)
if you're going to use xdm to log in as root--this is a security hole.
If you want to put the pwd in the user's path, include it in their
~/.xsession file.

Cheers,
William Richard
wdr@tdl.com