Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 18:51:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Todd Cohen <cohentl@clarkson.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: acroread4

Todd Cohen writes:
 > I installed acroread4 via the ports collection and when I try to run it I
 > get the following:
 >
 > bash-2.03$ acroread4
 > Illegal instruction
 >
 > Any ideas? Anyone know of an alternative to use for now?

You failed to give almost any information about your configuration.
When you have a problem, please at least include the version of
FreeBSD you are running and the platform you are running it on.

I'm *guessing* you're running on a machine which does not support
byte/word instructions (LCA, EV4, EV45, or EV5), am I right?
According a wheezing old EV5 box running Tru64, acroread4 contains
instructions for newer CPUs which it needs to emulate:

% /usr/pkg/Acrobat4/bin/acroread
inst emulated pid=11774 <acroread> va=0x11fffeeb0 pc=0x120058df0 inst=0x37ef0090

I don't know what 0x37ef0090 is & don't have time to look it up, but
given that it doesn't work on a 21164 and works on my Miata at home,
I'm guessing that its a bwx instruction.  Unfortunately, FreeBSD
doesn't support instruction emulation, so you're SOL right now.

Fortunately, I think that 3.x version of Acrobat will be OK (at least
the same Tru64 box does not spit out any messages about emulated
instructions).

Cheers,

Drew