Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 11:25:53 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The PR db is not for -current problems, right?

Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net> writes:
> Hello fellow PR drivers,
>
> just before I hit more people over the head that have submitted PRs
> against problems on -current: my understanding is that -current users
> know what they are doing, especially that they're living on the bleeding
> edge and that they must be subscribed to current@ where they shall
> discuss -current-related malfunctions. Right?

It's still useful to file PRs against -current if the problem is, for
example, well-known but not likely to be fixed any time soon (e.g.,
non-trivial fix).  Then it serves as a reminder.  It's also useful to
file PRs with patches against -current :-).

> BTW, why does each and every PR seem to have this line:
>
> >Submitter-Id:   current-users
>
> This is mildly confusing to me. What's the purpose of the Submitter-Id?

GNATS was designed to be used in a corporate environment; there, it
would make sense to assign a submitter-id to every major customer.
This would allow load balancing between the support personell (e.g.,
reports from customer X go here, and reports from customer Y go here).
FreeBSD doesn't work with this kind of model, so submitter-id is just
one of those useless-but-required fields.

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org