Date:               Wed, 31 Jul 1996 17:16:52 +600 CDT
From:      "Larry Dolinar" <LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:         reply to Re: Son of Re: irq 12

|  From:           "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@Mole.ORG>

|  [...]
|  > |    lpt0 = 0x3bc/7, lpt1 = 0x378/5, lpt1 = 0x278/(upto card)
|  >
|  > Indeed you'll see the wee beasties are set accordingly (I hope that last
|  > 'lpt1' was a typo).
|  [...]
|  > lpt0 at 0x3bc-0x3c3 on isa
|  > lpt1 at 0x378-0x37f on isa
|  > lpt2 at 0x278-0x27f on isa
|
|  1) they can't share an interrupt,

I'm aware of that -- a little background:

    the IDE controller is a DTC2278 with all ports except game enabled,
     parallel is irq7
    the other lpts are clone DTC-2280's (right down to the silkscreen
     and jumper positions) with ONLY parallel ports enabled
        - lpt1 is irq 5
        - lpt2 is not jumpered for an interrupt (only 5 and 7 offered),
          which I realize does not necessarily imply "no interrupt"

|  2) if a stray interrupt occurs and is caught by irq 7 at the
|     wrong time, it can confuse the lp driver,
|  3) I haven't seen 2) above since 1.1.5.1 :-),
|  4) try just 0x378/5 and 0x278/{4,3} interfaces as lpt0 and lpt1 if
|     they'll do it, that is, no irq 7 lp, no shared irq, and only 2
|     interfaces,

Not an option with the current hardware, but I'll certainly consider
better if FreeBSD supports it and it's not too pricey.

|  5) to get 3 lp's to work, I used an MGP and 2 single LP cheap boards
|     and X-acto, solder and wire to change the IRQ on the second single LP.

Which for me would be a liitle difficult without a schematic  8).