Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 1997 18:23:27 +0100
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pccard and -current; a long way to go. :-(

Nate Williams writes:

>No it's not, you don't understand the startup code.  You're trying to
>use the 'stock' if_ed0 lines to configure thing, and it doesn't work
>that way.

Not quite.  For instance, I'm using the 'proper' pccard_ifconfig lines
to bring up my GCS2220 ethernet card, yet by the time pccardd has
fired up the interface, the rest opf /etc/rc* has brought up exim,
my local caching-only nameserver, amd, xntpd etc.., some of which
will occasionally fail to 'do the right thing', since at the time
they're started up, I only have a loopback interface defined, with
ed0 still nowhere in the land of the living (since pccardd hasn't
finished doing its thing).

I would imagine that most of these problems could be sorted out with
an optional flag to pccardd saying "I already have my card in the
laptop, it's an ethernet card, and I don't want the rest of /etc/rc*
to bring up network-related daemons until pccard-ed0 (or whatever)
is up and running".

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Demon Internet Ltd.