Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 1997 09:59:18 +0800 (WST)
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.aceonline.com.au>
To:        Ernie Elu <ernie@spooky.eis.net.au>
Cc:        Justen Stepka <raistlin@ecp.net>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIS

On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Ernie Elu wrote:

> > I would personaly run FreeBSD on all the machines because if you want to
> > export the shadow stuff it's insecure and your users will be able to see
> > the passwd feild. FreeBSD's NIS is like SunOS in that the passwd feild is
> > not shown with any ypcat map.
> >

> Thanks for the suggestion, I would love to have all the machines on FreeBSD
> but I have to leave the terminal servers running Linux use the transparent
> proxy feature of the Linux kernel to save users having to set the proxy
> server in their browser.
>
> Despite lots of prodding, I found that only 40% of users were setting proxies
> and at $0.19c per MB inbound traffic in Australia, proxies are a must.

*grin*

Don't ya just LOVE Monopolies? :)

Check out IPFilter, it has a transparent proxying feature just like Linux.
Our terminal servers / user machines all run Linux, and all the rest
(Proxy, gateway, fileserver) run FreeBSD.

--
Adrian Chadd			| UNIX, MS-DOS and Windows ...
<adrian@psinet.net.au>		| (also known as the Good, the bad and the