Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 2010 16:47:50 +0200
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Eirik_=C3=98verby?= <ltning@anduin.net>
To:        "Randal L. Schwartz" <merlyn@stonehenge.com>
Cc:        Mark Sommer <msommer@somware.com>, "freebsd-java-request@freebsd.org" <freebsd-java-request@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-java@freebsd.org" <freebsd-java@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: this is probably a little touchy to ask...

On 10. sep. 2010, at 16:29, merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote=
:

>=20
> Mark> That's a pretty idealistic view of the upcoming release of HTML5.
> Mark> I have yet to see a release of HTML that is compatible across
> Mark> browsers, i.e.  adapted universally by all browsers uniformly.
> Mark> Java is still a very viable platform, even on the browser.
>=20
> Whenever I see Java firing up on my browser, I cringe.  (Flash too.)
>=20
> There are darn few things either of these do that a good modern
> cross-platform library, like jQueryUI, can't do instead.
>=20
> Except for video playback, which HTML5 fixes as well.  And yes, until
> then, we're stuck with Flash.
>=20
> We needed Java before we had good JavaScript.  Now we have good
> JavaScript.
>=20
> I repeat... Java had its day.  Time to move on.

You are forgetting - or conveniently ignoring - that many still NEED Java su=
pport in their browsers - and not of their own choice. Banks, insurances, di=
gital signature services etc. Still frequently use Java as carrier for their=
 services. Often this cannot be changed easily as such organizations have lo=
ng turn-around times and make investments in the long term.=20

Java is still very much alive, and until html5 can validate and run signed c=
ode it'll stay that way even on the client. And that is just one of the reas=
ons/scenarios.=20

I'm not using FreeBSD on the desktop for just this kind o reasons. I'm sure i=
t would be a great choice in an ideal world but we are unfortunately living i=
n a real one. So either one takes the time to implement what people _need_ i=
n addition to what you would prefer them to need, or the desktop can as well=
 be ditched and focus moved to improving FreeBSD for servers, where it alrea=
dy excels.=20

/Eirik