Date:      Sun, 30 May 2004 11:52:21 -0400
From:      Gerard Seibert <gerard-seibert@rcn.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problem after installing 'lprng'

On Sunday 30 May 2004 09:42 am, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 09:12:53AM -0400, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> > Obligatory OS system info:
> >
> > uname -a
> > FreeBSD rcn.com 5.2.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Feb 23
> > 20:45:55 GMT 2004
> > root@wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
> >
> > I was having problems printing from KDE, so I used the ports to download
> > and install 'lprng' as well as the 'lprngtool'. The printing problem was
> > solved. However, a new problem has arisen.
> >
> > Upon boot up I receive the following error message:
> >
> > Local package initialization:
> > Starting Dr. Web daemon...
> >  dnetc
> >  printer
> > Fatal error - Cannot bind to lpd port '515'
> > .
>
> You have probably managed to configure your machine to try and run
> both the lpd(8) from the base system and the lpd from the lprNG port.
> Which means the lprNG version can't start up because the base system
> version has already bound the the lpd port.  Make sure that your
> /etc/rc.conf has only the lprng entries.
>
> > I have no idea why this is happening. In addition, when I attempt to run
> > the 'lprngtool' script from within KDE, I receive the following error
> > message:
> >
> > Error executing command 'lpq -a -s'
> > lpq: illegal option -- s
> > usage: lpq [-a] [-l] [-Pprinter] [user ...] [job ...]
> >
> > I am not sure if that has anything to do with this or not.
> >
> > I would certainly appreciate any assistance that someone can afford me.
>
> lpq(8) from the base system is being run, and that doesn't understand
> the '-s' option used by lpq(8) from lprNG.  Either you need to specify
> the full path to the correct version of lpq (which will be
> /usr/local/bin/lpq if you've installed lprNG from packages), or you
> have to futz with the $PATH and put /usr/local/bin before /usr/bin.
> Note that fiddling with the order of directories on the $PATH can
> cause all sorts of weird effects in completely unrelated software so
> test early and test often if you do that.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

You were correct about there being two entries in '/etc/rc.conf'.. I have
corrected that problem, and now my system boots correctly.

When trying to run the 'lprngtool' the error message that I described above
still appears. In addition, no printers are listed, and I assume that there
should be at least one (the one I defined)

Moreover,  a new problem seems to have surfaced. If I run the 'checkpc'
command specifically  with the '-fV' options, the following is displayed:

root@rcn ~ $ checkpc -fV
LPRng-3.8.26, Copyright 1988-2003 Patrick Powell, <papowell@lprng.com>
Checking for configuration files '/usr/local/etc/lpd.conf'
  found '/usr/local/etc/lpd.conf', mod 0100644
Checking for printcap files '/etc/printcap'
Checking for lpd only printcap files '/usr/local/etc/lpd/lpd_printcap'
 DaemonUID 1, DaemonGID 1
Using Config file '/usr/local/etc/lpd.conf'
LPD lockfile '/var/run/lpd.515'

.names
 :lp=lp

.all
 :lp

#Printcap Information
lp|bj8oh06n.upp;r=2400x1200;q=high;c=full;p=letter;m=auto
 :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct
 :if=/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter
 :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp/log
 :lp=/dev/null
 :mx#0
 :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
 :sh
Checking printcap info
Checking printer 'lp'
 Checking directory: '/var/spool/lpd/lp'
   directory '/'
   directory '//var'
   directory '//var/spool'
   directory '//var/spool/lpd'
   directory '//var/spool/lpd/lp'
  checking 'control.pr' file
  checking 'status.pr' file
  checking 'status' file
  checking '/var/spool/lpd/lp/log' file
  checking '/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct' file
2004-05-30-11:39:10.649 rcn lp: Checkwrite: fcntl F_SETFL of '/dev/null'
failed - Inappropriate ioctl for device
Warning - lp: cannot open lp device '/dev/null' - Inappropriate ioctl for
device
  'if' filter '/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter'
    executable '/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter'

Everything seems fine until the end where the 'failed" and then 'Warning' line
begin. Is this something that I should be worried about? How would I go about
correcting the situation?

Thanks!

Gerard Seibert
gerard-seibert@rcn.com