Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:22:29 +0200
From:      Philipp Mergenthaler <un1i@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: old BSD/OS binary coredumps

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 08:50:53AM +0200, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> After upgrading to current-2001-08-28, my old BSD/OS Netscape 3 binary
> no longer works.  It coredumps right away at startup, before opening
> any window.  (Running it as "netscape3 -help", where it only produces
> a usage message, isn't affected.)
>
> Now the interesting part: i wanted to get an idea why this happened,
> and ran it through ktrace.  Voila, that still works!  Likewise when
> running through truss.

I saw something like this some time ago, too.  In my case it was
because in kern_sysctl:ogetkerninfo(), in "case KINFO_BSDI_SYSINFO:",
the variable "size" is not always given a value.  Maybe the patch in
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=25476
fixes it for you, too?

(Hm, now I think my patch could need a comment: "size" will only be
returned if needed==0.  There are two ways this can happen:
1) "case KINFO_BSDI_SYSINFO" has been executed:
 In this case, "size" will have been set to 0, too. "size" is of size_t,
 i.e. positive or 0.)
2) on of the other cases has been executed:
 they all set "size".)

> Does anybody have an idea what might have changed,

If it's what I suspect, just the random inital value of "size" changed...

> and why's that odd behaviour with the syscall tracers?

I'd like to know that, too.

Bye, Philipp