Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2006 17:43:52 -0400
From:      Ralph Ellis <ralphellis1@netscape.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, beno <zope@2012.vi>
Subject:   Re: Rebuilding, Got Questions

On Tuesday 15 August 2006 2:44 pm, beno wrote:
> Hi;
> The box I've taken over has BSD 5.3 so I need to upgrade. This is a big
> jump and the console is half a world away so I have some questions:
> * Can I do all of the steps of the installation without reverting to
> single user mode?
> * Where do I find the src to download?? All I find are ISOs. Is there no
> *.tgz file anywhere?
> * I'm upgrading from 5.3 to 6.1. Will I have to run "mergemaster -p"
> before running "buildworld"?
>
> Do I need anything more in /etc/make.conf than the following?
> CFLAGS= -O -pipe
> NO_BLUETOOTH=  true    # I have no need of this
> NO_SENDMAIL=   true    # I use qmail
>
> The current /etc/make.conf has this and I don't understand why:
>
> # -- use.perl generated deltas -- #
> # Created: Wed Dec 21 21:11:27 2005
> # Setting to use base perl from ports:
> PERL_VER=5.8.5
> PERL_VERSION=5.8.5
> PERL_ARCH=mach
> NOPERL=yo
> NO_PERL=yo
> NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo
>
> Should I leave the above? Merge the two? Throw out the above and just
> use what I've written (above that)? Will that screw up the installation?
> Will that screw up perl?
>
> Here is my procedure. Look good?
>
> cd /usr/src
> make -j4 buildworld // single CPU system
> make buildkernel
> make installkernel
> reboot
> make installworld
> mergemaster -p
> reboot
>
> TIA,
> beno

You can update the source by doing a supfile, for example /etc/6stable-supfile
containing
*default host=cvsup12.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs
*default tag=RELENG_6_1
*default delete use-rel-suffix
src-all
*default tag=.
ports-all
doc-all

save it and run the command
cvsup -L 2 /etc/6stable-supfile

get a coffee.

Your update procedure is fine. For the use of mergemaster, you many want to
see FreeBSD 6 Unleashed by Michael Urban and Brian Tiemann the 2006 version.
I have found the mergemaster instructions to be somewhat confusing.
Make sure you have a backup or atleast a disk image.
If someone is one site, it is possible to do an upgrade install via a CD or
DVD.
Good luck
Ralph Ellis