Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 1996 07:10:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
To:        petzi@zit.th-darmstadt.de
Cc:        fs@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ccd setup for striping

 * I have made a kernel with ccd support on two of my 2.1.5 systems, and made
 * the ccd devices ccd0 through ccd4 . I would like to concatenate and stripe
 * the disks which hold the newsspool on these servers. I have 4 drives with 2
 * GB each, and they currently have filesystems on them like
 *
 * /dev/sd1s1e
 * /dev/sd2s1e
 * /dev/sd3s1e
 * /dev/sd4s1e
 *
 * what must I do in order to prepare them for use with ccd ? The manpage
 * speaks about devices named sd2e, sd3e, sd4e, which confuse me a bit. Do I

sd2e is an alias for sd2s1e (more precisely, sd2sNe where N is the
slice number of the first FreeBSD slice on that disk), etc.  So either
is fine.

 * need special disklabels ? Can I use the disks as they are ? I currently use
 * the disks in their entirety for only one filesystem, no DOS partitions on
 * them.

That's ok.  Just make sure you have "4.2BSD" in the "type" field on
the disklabel.

You can put

ccd0 65536 ccd0 /dev/sd1e /dev/sd2e /dev/sd3e /dev/sd4e
     ^^^^^
 this is the "interleave size", Rod Grimes recommends you make this
 at least 65536 for news spools

in your /etc/ccd.conf, type "ccdconfig -Cv" (this is done
automatically next time you reboot), "newfs /dev/ccd0c", then mount it
anywhere you want.

 * Another question I have is, can I use an odd number of disks for striping ?
 * Is it advisable to use ccd if I want to concatenate (stripe) 3, 5 or 6 disks ?

No, as long as you don't turn on mirroring as well (in which case you
obviously need even number of disks).

Satoshi