Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 21:14:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        parrothd@midwest.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Keeping mutliple machine and telnets straight....

> Hello,
> 	Now that I have 3 FreeBSD machines on my network I've developed a nasty
> habbit. I tend to telnet around from machine to machine and sometimes
> (well, most of the time)lossing track of where I am. I've noticed on other
> linux machines/shells the host name is in the command line...Ie...
>
> You have new mail.
> #
>
> You have new mail.
> hostname-#
>
> Is this just a different shell or what?
>

> Thanks!

 Change your .profile (or .login for the csh) to alter the value
of PS1.  PS1 contains your prompt string (e.g. Prompt String 1).

 Here's what I do in my .profile (for the bourne shell, a csh
user will want to do something different):

  PS1="[`hostname`]$ "

which makes my prompt look like:

[machinename]$

 Very handy for situations like your describing...

	- Dave Rivers -