Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:39:08 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba@yahoo.com>, current@freebsd.org, =?iso-8859-15?q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@deepcore.dk>
Subject:   Re: Any successful installs on a Broadcom HT1000 chipset?

On Tuesday 27 November 2007 02:36:17 pm S=F8ren Schmidt wrote:
> Barney Cordoba wrote:
> > S=F8ren Schmidt wrote:
> >> This server has been running -current all the time
> >> with about biweekly=20
> >> updates, so it has made the transition all the way
> >> from about 6.1 to=20
> >> todays current without problems.
> >>    =20

> >> Looks like a pattern, something outside of ATA also
> >> caused HW issues on=20
> >> some Promise controllers to appear in this period.
> >> Just checked and nothing in ATA changed in regards
> >> to either the HT1000=20
> >> or the Promise HW, its the same support code thats
> >> been there all the time.
> >> It could be a sideeffect of now having more fine
> >> grained locking etc,=20
> >> that makes these problems show up, your guess is as
> >> good as mine.
> >>
> >> Again, the sticky point is that if I cant reproduce
> >> a problem here its=20
> >> very hard to work on it, if not just plain
> >> impossible...
> >>    =20
> >
> > A sticky point on this end is that it will cost more
> > to ship you a system than the cost of the product; you
> > being in Europe and the US dollar sucking in general.
> > I'm also not going to be able to get authorization to
> > ship overseas.=20
> >
> >  =20
> Maybe I can get the HW over here, paypal can be used to transfer the=20
> funds in that case...
> > Could you send me the config file you're using on your
> > 7.0 system with the H8SSL MB so I can give it a try
> > and see if its a config issue, or some device
> > conflict? You have the MB we're having trouble with,
> > so maybe we can learn enough to give you some ideas.I
> > have a system with an H8SSL-i that just plain doesn't
> > work with either SATA or IDE.
> >  =20
> Sure find my config attached currently used with plain releng_7.
> It might be worth while to compare HW revisions etc as well as there=20
> might be differences.
> One thing you could try would be to install a 6.2 system and if that=20
> still works just grap ATA from releng_6 as that is now the same as in=20
> -current and should fit almost cleanly into 6.2 as is, then give that a=20
> run. Depending on the outcome we'll know more about where to look for=20
> the problem.
>=20
> For references sake could we please get a list of the actual HW that=20
> people have problems with listed here, as detailed as possible please.=20

=46YI, I've seen weird in-memory corruption with machines with the HT1000_S=
1=20
atapci device.  In all the cases I've seen so far, a single page is corrupt=
ed=20
with garbage and the page happens to be used by UMA to hold credentials=20
including proc0's credentials.  I've seen this corruption (trashed creds fo=
r=20
proc0 and other creds in that page) on many of the same boxes (Dell 1435's=
=20
IIRC) running on 6.2.  I've tried switching the HT1000_S1 to use SWKSMIO=20
rather SWKS100 as I mentioned to you in an earlier e-mail (the Linux driver=
=20
uses equivalent of SWKSMIO FWIW) but don't have any conclusive tests on tha=
t.

=2D-=20
John Baldwin