Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 19:42:50 -0500
From:      Chris Browning <brownicm@prokyon.com>
To:        "Josh Richesin" <jrichesin@peoplepc.com>, "Edward Guldemond" <ed_master_of_magic@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installing on an old 486...

I have successfully used as new as 4.2 (and I believe 4.3) on 486s with 8MB
of RAM and 325MB drives without a problem. They make dandy
routers/firewalls/nameservers and even mailservers for small-to-mid. I have
heard tales of RedHat (yes, I know...) running their corporate email on a
486. Doubtless that one has more than than 8MB. And you can run as large a
harddrive as you want as a slave regardless of the BIOS. FreeBSD will see it
properly.

Take the minimal install option to begin with and load what packages you need
afterwards. But don't think you can run X. You can't.

And. This maybe should really be on -questions. But...

<snip>

There shouldn't be a problem with this stuff. I've run with less.