Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:55:02 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
Cc:        "stable@FreeBSD.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Virtio and GEOM labels

On Mar 25, 2013, at 1:46 PM, John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net> wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2013, at 8:14 AM, Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu> =
wrote:
>=20
>> I'm running FreeBSD 9-STABLE as a guest under RHEL 6.4 KVM =
virtualisation.  I have networking and storage in the FreeBSD guest =
using the Virtio drivers (with the virtual disk set to "Virtio" in the =
definition on the host).  Everything is working nicely: I have a vtnet =
network adapter and see vtbd devices for my virtual disks in FreeBSD.  =
Performance is much better compared with an emulated IDE device.
>=20
> I've had the same experience.
>=20
>> The odd thing is that I don't see GEOM labels reflected in /dev.  For =
example, I have GPT labels defined in the guest, but I don't see them =
show up under /dev/gpt.  Similarly, my UFS labels don't show up under =
/dev/ufs.  I *do* see a /dev/gptid.  That appears to be the only label =
that shows up.
>=20
> I have not encountered this issue. I use virtio block devices and GPT =
labels exclusively in multiple FreeBSD 9.1 guests and all mount/function =
without issue. How are you referring to your filesystems in /etc/fstab? =
IIRC GEOM makes not-in-use labels disappear when a device is in use =
(e.g. mounted). If you take a new device, put a labeled GPT partition on =
it and a labeled UFS partition on that but don't mount anything, what =
happens?

Thanks for the reply.

My apologies: this is a case of pilot error on my part.  I was mounting =
the devices as /dev/vtbd...  I hadn't realised that the =
present-but-unused labels were being suppressed when the device was =
mounted.  Has this always been the case?  For some reason I had a =
distinct recollection stuck in my mind that all labels showed up in =
/dev.

Anyway, many thanks for pointing the way to the solution.  I now have =
GPT- and UFS-labelled devices mounted in my FreeBSD guest system.

>=20
>> Is there something special I need to do to get GPT and UFS labels to =
appear when using Virtio?  It seems to me that Virtio block devices =
appear to be somewhat unusual.  Unlike regular ATA and SCSI devices, my =
vtbd devices don't appear in the boot dmesg (although a vtblk device =
does), and "camcontrol devlist" does not list them.  It's not clear to =
me how I am supposed to interact with them other than via basic device =
I/O through /dev/vtbdX.  I thought that the virtio_scsi module might =
make them appear as "da" devices and able to interacted with via =
camcontrol, but this doesn't seem to be the case.
>=20
> Virtio block devices and virtio SCSI devices are not the same. If you =
want to use the virtio_scsi module in FreeBSD you should expose a virtio =
SCSI device from the host.

Thank you for the explanation.  I've been using virt-manager up to now =
for setting up KVM guests and it seems that virtio-scsi isn't exposed =
through that interface---only through the command line.  I'll have to =
investigate...

Cheers,

Paul.