Date:      15 May 2002 19:01:08 -0700
From:      Yann Ramin <atrus@atrustrivalie.org>
To:        Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pthread Q

--=-6j9UE829HiSxq6+gTsBi

On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 19:45, Mike Hoskins wrote:
> On 15 May 2002, Yann Ramin wrote:
>=20
> Ok, I see:
>=20
> $ ls /usr/lib/libc_r*
> /usr/lib/libc_r.a       /usr/lib/libc_r.so.4
> /usr/lib/libc_r.so      /usr/lib/libc_r_p.a
>=20
> Is this the FreeBSD implementation? =20

Yes. Its actualy the reenterant version of the C library, but it also
contains the pthread_ functions.

> I've removed linuxthreads, and when I
> try to compile xmms I get gtk/glib errors.  So I've tried to use
> portupgrade to ensure glib and gtk are up to date...  But get,
>=20
> What does 'cannot find -lpthread' imply?  This is what I saw in the past,
> which made me think I needed to install some non-existent pthreads
> implementation.
>=20

For some reason the XMMS configure it trying to use the Linux libpthread
library. It shouldn't be using that library. Instead it should be
running the linking phase of gcc with the -pthread option. Linking in
libc_r  is another way around it (not as "correct," but seems to work
fine). Is this through the xmms port? If it is, I would suggest talking
to the port maintainer.

--=20

Yann Ramin			atrus@atrustrivalie.org
Atrus Trivalie Productions	www.atrustrivalie.org

GPG Key Fingerprint:
3E2F FFBC B244 BFF6 C089 7AE3 940D 1037 B790 A0EC
Use www.keyserver.net to find me!

"The dew," he observed, "has clearly fallen with a particulary
sickening thud this morning."
	- Marvin (Life, the Universe, Everything. Douglas Adams)

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical=20
universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step=20
beyond logic.
	- Muad'Dib (Dune, Frank Herbert)=20

--=-6j9UE829HiSxq6+gTsBi

--=-6j9UE829HiSxq6+gTsBi--