Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 1997 07:41:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.aceonline.com.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java binary support in FreeBSD ...

On Thu, 11 Jan 1996, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> I as just wondering if there was any plans to introduce java binary
> compatibility into the FreeBSD kernel.  Not a java compiler / appletviewer
> in the KERNEL itself, but something like what LInux does, ie you echo the
> paths of the java executer and appletview into
> /proc/sys/kernel/java-interpreter and  ../applet-viewer, and everytime a
> java binary is run, it runs the appropriate program with the right
> arguements, and there is your nice java binary running. :)

Why bother??? It's not so hard to type 'java Class'......
I like my users to be aware that they are running through an interpreter,
and that there are command line options to the interpreter.

BTW, there's no such thing as a 'java binary'. It's just a bytecode class
file that has to be interpreted.

> Adrian Chadd
> <adrian@psinet.net.au>

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark
 Nature shows that with the growth of intelligence comes increased capacity
 for pain, and it is only with the highest degree of intelligence that
 suffering reaches its supreme point.  -- Arthur Schopenhauer