Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 2014 12:04:18 -0700
From:      hiren panchasara <hiren.panchasara@gmail.com>
To:        Joseph Ward <jbward@hilltopgroup.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SPAN port doesn't pick up locally generated traffic

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 7:27 PM, Joseph Ward <jbward@hilltopgroup.com> wrote:
> I found a workaround that is acceptable.
>
> First, I want to thank Hiren Panchasara for recommending the work-around
> that I hadn't thought about trying.
>
> For the archives and anyone struggling with the same issue:
>
> I altered the setup below by giving the LAN IP to the wired interface re1 as
> opposed to bridge0.  Doing that magically made the span port (re2) get all
> the traffic, both passing through in re1 and out ath0 (and vice versa) as
> well as the packets that originate inside the system and are passed to the
> bridge.
>
> This isn't ideal as it means that if the physical interface re1 goes down,
> clients on ath0 will lose connectivity to the system, and I had always
> understood that when bridging it's ideal to give the IPs to the bridge
> itself to protect against that possibility.  However, I can give each
> interface another IP on a different subnet that will at least allow for
> remote connectivity in that scenario.
>
> Does anyone know if this is known/expected behavior?  If no one knows I'll
> file a bug ticket on the scenario as it certainly doesn't seem kosher to me.

I am not sure if this one case of "packets originating from one of the
bridge members not showing up on the bridge's span port" is the only
one not getting handled correctly or there is more to it.

Please file a bug with your testing scenarios and all the details.

CC me on the bug and I'll try to take a look.

cheers,
Hiren

[skip]