Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 05:42:18 -0400
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Features to facilitate correctness and regression testing

Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>
> > >  It has been
> > >   suggested to me that these would make a great addition to a new
> > >   regression/ CVS sub-tree, that they should be included under
> > >   appropriate existing parts of the tree reflecting what they test,
> > >   and that they would be best in the form of a port.
> >
> > I'd prefer to see any test code in the tree near the code being tested
> > - this (marginally) improves the chances of tests being updated to
> > cover new functionality.  A number of parts of the system already
> > include stand-alone self-checks which could probably be invoked as
> > part of an overall regression test.  Pushing the tests into a
> > separate port makes it more difficult for developers to use the
> > tests and would appear to make it harder to update the tests.
> >
> > Any generic test skeleton files probably belong in a "regression"
> > tree under /usr/src.
>
> Where do you think that kernel regression tests should be placed?  Often,
> these tests will be initiated and managed from userland, so they are
> probably inappropriate to drop in sys/?

You mean like, oh, say src/tools/regression? ^_^  There are odd-men-out, of
course; several of the src/bin and src/usr.bin apps inherited regression tests
also (e.g. ed and sed).  I think those should probably be fixed by leaving
the tests where they are and sticking a Makefile to run those tests in
src/tools/regression.  There are also the libc_r ones -- those can be very
useful -- which should probably be repo-copied to the regression test tree
proper.

In any case, I think it's a very good idea!  I'm reasonably certain we
discussed regression tests in the tree 1-2 years ago, however it may not
have been on the mailing lists, and only on IRC logs.  If just IRC, DES or I
can probably remember any prevailing ideas from back then if we try.

As far as enabling the non-intrusive regression instrumentation by default,
I think in -CURRENT it should be, so there should be two options which both
enable regression test instrumentation and which enable intrusive
instrumentation.  In this particular case, I don't think there's anything to
lose by enabling that syscall by default as a "non-intrusive" frob.  You
could always just write support for that operation into procfs(4) ;)