Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 09:04:21 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        dionv@spots.ab.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SOLARIS VS FreeBSD

Original Message dated 6/27/00, 7:51:21 AM
Author: "Dion E Viglione" <dionv@spots.ab.ca>
Re: SOLARIS VS FreeBSD:

Solaris 8 is now "open" and free. Sun told me that it is the superior=20
UNIX of all UNICES--to end all UNICES! (--to that effect)
And -- Solaris' kernel algorithm design is suppose to be better than=20
BSD's. I want to learn UNIX, but computer scientists predict Linux=20
will gradually fade away, leaving BSD; but now Solaris is free--won't=20
that "crush" BSD? Won't everyone flock to Solaris?
Should I now uninstall my OpenBSD?

Please help me with guidance.

--D Viglione, very confused student who wants to have faith in BSD,=20
again.

I got the impression from Sun that they have never heard of FreeBSD!=20
Does that mean FreeBSD is not good enough for large corporations?

dionv@spots.ab.ca

Dear Dion Viglione,

facts speak louder than words -- especially if those words come from=20
large corporations.

My advice: use a [more or less fancy] bootloader, install one or more=20
*BSD, Linux(es), and Solaris 8 -- and even BeOS if you like.

As it were, contraria sunt complementa: you will be in a position to=20
understand the differences, and utilize the right tool for the job=20
(whatever the job may be), not to mention the sheer learning=20
experience.

Have fun,
Salvo

P.S. Please use plain text for your letters.