Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:26:31 -0600
From:      freebsd@dreamchaser.org
To:        Tony Holmes <tony@crosswinds.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Asus A7N8X-E w/SATA and SCSI, 4.10 sys install snafu

One other thing to check -- what version of BIOS for the mobo do you
have?  Mine came with 1011, and while the Asus notes on the 1012 bios
download say the changes are to support an additional amd processor,
1012 also tweaks the way bios boot options for scsi and sata/raid are
configured.  Didn't solve my problems but it may affect yours,
although I doubt it.  But it seems wise to update it.  The change adds
a field for booting from scsi or raid.  I take that to mean when you
specify scsi as a boot device, you will get the sata drive instead if
you have it set to raid.  I attempted to build an nt4 system and it
did work that way, although I was unable to complete the nt4 install
because after writing \winnt and its contents on the sata drive during
the initial install, the reboot to the sata drive fell on its face.

Gary