Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 1999 02:06:13 +1030 (CST)
From:      Justin Hawkins <justin@tardis.mx.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Basic NIS help needed

Hi,

I have a small network which I am trying to get NIS going on. It's mostly
setup OK. On the client I can use ypcat to see the passwd file for
instance. I can even use yppasswd to change the password of a user on the
server machine, from the client.

What I can't do is authenticate local logins via NIS. I understand I need
to add +:::::::: to /etc/passwd. But I have tried that - I seem to be
doing something wrong.

I'm a little confused - if I use 'vipw' to edit /etc/passwd (which I
thought I was supposed to) it barfs when trying to exit - not liking the
+:::::::: line. If I add it using just 'vi' it doesn't seem to work. Where
does master.password come into this?

Sorry - I'm a real NIS newbie - I couldn't find anything better than a
Linux howto on the net :-(

	- Justin