Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 2008 16:28:44 +0200
From:      Anselm Strauss <amsibamsi@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tracking base system and kernel updates/vulnerabilities

Hi,

is there a tool, like portaudit for the ports tree, to track updates
and/or vulnerabilities for the base system and the kernel? What I'm
looking for is a tool that will check my current installation against
a specific checkout of the CVS source and kernel trees considering a
specific CVS tag and inform me where my system is outdated and
vulnerable. I don't know if this is even possible by just having the
CVS trees ...

For the kernel, is there something like a linear version number in the
-STABLE branches? I noticed there's a pX in the kernel version for
release kernels. How do I for example compare the currentness of two
7.0-STABLE kernels if I don't know from what source they were build?

Cheers,
Anselm