Date:      Tue, 01 Jul 2008 13:53:36 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
To:        Warren Liddell <shinjii@maydias.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cant su to root

Warren Liddell wrote:
> When i try to su to root from konsole within kde it tells me..
>
> $ su
> su: Sorry
>
> i got a feeling when i added my user client to operators group this may have
> done this an sadly now i cant run or do anything that requires root access.
>
> Any thoughts?

Maybe you added your account to the operators group, but removed it from
the wheel group?
Try:

id <username>

and see if you have wheel in your groups.

as root you can use pw usermod to restore this, e.g.

pw usermod <username> -g <primarygroup> -G wheel,operator,...

(there are other ways to do this as well.)