Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 10:54:25 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Chris Coleman <chrisc@vmunix.com>
Cc:        Ignacio Cristerna <ignacioc@avantel.net>, freebsd newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD Magazine

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 10:45:21AM -0400, Chris Coleman wrote:
> We did approach someone last year, but they said the market wasn't ready
> yet.  I don't know if it will be now or not.

I doubt it is, sadly.

The "real world" (i.e., everything not on the Web) doesn't see much in
print about BSD.  This needs to change before we see a BSD mag.

Remember, publishing houses half dismiss the Web, and half quake in
their boots over it.  While DN publishes some very high-quality
pieces, it (from real-world POV) doesn't count nearly as much as the
same number of articles in print would.

Moral of the story: do things the hard way, submit BSD articles to
print magazines.  They're not nearly as nice to work with as the web
ones, but that's what we *need*.

Also, if anyone does start a print magazine, I want a column.  :)

==ml

--
Michael Lucas
mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org