Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:33:26 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Susanth K <susanthoffline@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The FreeBSD7

On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 02:07:04PM +0530, Susanth K wrote:

> Wikipedia says,
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freebsd
>
> FreeBSD 7.0  is on >> Improved scheduler and locking scalability for 32+ CPU
> systems (prototyping)
>
> Does Any One know How Many CPU Does FreeBSD 6.2 Supports ?

People on the list just discussed this - not too meaningfully - but...

I don't know if there is a coded in limit in either 6.xx or 7.xx.
People were more talking about a practical limit, meaning how
many could be efficiently handled.  For 6.xx they seemed to
think that something between 4 and 8 were practical limits.  But, this
is assuming all CPUs were being used on the same task.   Having
multiple tasks might increase this.   Again, I don't know if somewwhere
there is a coded in or configurable limit to how many CPUs it will
talk to.  Someone who knows the code should answer that.

No one has attempted to respond in terms of V 7.xxx as far as I have
noticed.

////jerry