Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:29:35 +0200
From:      Rafal Jaworowski <raj@semihalf.com>
To:        "Bruce M. Simpson" <bms@incunabulum.net>
Cc:        freebsd-embedded@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HOWTO: Build NSLU2 U-Boot on FreeBSD

Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
> Building NSLU2 U-boot firmware on FreeBSD hosts

*snip*

> Toolchain setup
>
> cd /usr/ports/devel/cross-binutils
> env TGTARCH=arm TGTABI=rtems make install
>
> cd /usr/ports/devel/cross-gcc
> env TGTARCH=arm TGTABI=rtems make install
>
> Get stas@FreeBSD.org's updated u-boot tarball:
> uboot-atamantb.tar.bz2
> Untar it

*snip*

> env CROSS_COMPILE=arm-rtems- gmake distclean
> env CROSS_COMPILE=arm-rtems- gmake nslu2_config
> env CROSS_COMPILE=arm-rtems- gmake

In general it should be possible to build U-Boot with our in-tree cross tool
chain. I recall Marcel got this working with some patches against U-Boot build
scripts, tools or makefiles; they were even accepted to main line U-Boot IIRC.

There's also another approach possible: using U-Boot native and ready to use
build tools (ELDK) via Linux compat layer. I was working in such setup some
time ago and it was fine with some minor tweaks because of differences in some
of the GNU tools and ours. FWIW, my old notes on this from FreeBSD 5.x/6
timeframe can be found here:
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/ELDKInstallationUnderFreeBSD

Rafal