Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 22:59:12 -0600
From:      Brad Guillory <round@baileylink.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some observations on stream.c and streamnt.c

On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 05:17:59PM -0600, I wrote:
> I don't understand how a "script kiddie" is going to garner the bandwidth
> to run an attack into the multi-megabit range.  This is not a leveraged
> attack (right?).  What kind of packet rate are we talking about to reboot
> a system, I understand that this will depend on the equipment, but I am
> interested in any numbers that would allow me to evaluate the real impact
> that this DOS will have.  Most people that have enough bandwidth to launch
> a multi-megabit attack have better things to do than (or is it then) to pick
> on me. Thanx all, BMG

Thank you for the responces everyone, it seems that someone
even decided to show me just how vulnerable that I was.

I did not see anyone address approximatly what number of pps
that we are talking about to significantly affect a machine?
I only have 9 mbit/sec uplink here so I am wondering if I
really have to worry about this.  I imagine that there are
several other people out there that are in the same boat as
me.  I am really looking for an order of magnitude here.

I think that I heard Wes say that 1,000 packets per second lagged
a machine, and 10,000 packets per second cause a reboot, but
he didn't say what type of machine.  So how big is the smallest
ack packet? 20 bytes? So if I have all my unit conversions correct:
1,000[packets/sec] x 20[bytes/packet] x 10[bit/byte] = 200,000bit/sec
10,000pps = 2,000,000bit/sec

If you are connected via anything bigger than a T1 you have something
to worry about.  Does this sound reasonable? Otherwise it is "just"
a DOS.  Everything is out of the window if I the attacker is on your
LAN, but in that cause you probably have bigger issues to deal with.

Thanx, BMG