Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 12:23:46 -0800
From:      Dean <dean@thegrid.net>
To:        Noor Dawod <noor@NetVision.net.il>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw behavior, is it normal?

At 02:23 PM 3/28/99 +0200, you wrote:
>  My current ipfw rules are:

>00100 allow ip from any to any via lo0
>00200 allow ip from [machine-a-ip] to [server-ip] via xl0
>00300 allow ip from [machine-b-ip] to [server-ip] via xl0
>00400 allow ip from any to [server-ip] 80 in via xl0
>00500 allow ip from any to [server-ip] 21 in via xl0
>65000 allow ip from any to any
>65535 deny ip from any to any
>
>  00200 and 00300 seem redundant because of rule 65000. But this is where
>all the problem lies. If I understand right the ipfw rules, if I remove
>line 65000 from the rules table, then I can still do all ip-related
>actions from [machine-a] and [machine-b], which their ip numbers are
>listed in 00200 and 00300. But, once I remove line 65000, I cannot do any
>ip-related actions on the [server], and even WWW/FTP services are not
>served as well.
>
>  What am I missing here, and why the 65000 line MUST be there so that I
>could access [server] from [machine-a] and [machine-b] ?

Rule 65000 makes all the other rules before it redundant.

This ruleset (if you remove line 65000) will only allow connections from
machine a and b to the server.  Plus http and ftp connections from anywhere
to the server.  Is xl0 you 'inside' interface or 'outside' interface?  Make
sure you've got the right ip addresses for machine a and b.  Is the
firewall running on the server or some other machine?

Dean