Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 10:43:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Newell <mnewell@kaizen.net>
To:        Paul Danckaert <pauld@umbc.edu>
Cc:        jbhunt <jbhunt@mercury.gaianet.net>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org, root@mercury.gaianet.net
Subject:   Re: New EXPLOIT located!

On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Paul Danckaert wrote:

> The normal policy we use when setting up machines here is to do a find
> for suid and sgid files on the system.  Pick off the essential ones, and
> strip the bits off any others.  Its saved us from several irix and sun
> holes in the past.. and one or two bsd ones now too.

What do you consider "essential ones"?  I realize that a case-by-case
analysis of the pros/cons of what to/not keep SUID would be a book in
itself [:-)], especially since the usefulness of each is dependent on what
the system is being used for.  However it would be nice to know what
utilities *must* be SUID for a baseline system, and especially what
utilities are "safely" SUID and what aren't.

Thanks,

Mike