Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 00:29:54 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: another syscons update

Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jan 1999 07:21:23 PST, John Polstra wrote:
>
> > Is "make clean" really necessary?  A "make depend" ought to be
> > sufficient, I would think.
>
> I think that's an attempt to protect people who've upgraded from STABLE
> and haven't gotten used to ``config -r''?

config -r?  I'd be highly suprised if this was needed at all for 99% of the
time.  The only time that I've been aware of it being needed was quite some
time ago when there was an option that got removed - if people were using
it, that option wouldn't get cleaned out from the .h files, and it caused
a problem somewhere.  I don't remember the specifics, it was a long time
ago.  The only other time I can think of where this might be needed is
when the system clock gets screwed and the *.h files get future dates on
them.  In just about all other cases, a 'make clean' is sufficient to
start the tree from scratch if there are any suspicions about old files.

'make depend' really does work, and is quite safe.  Cleaning the tree
should be a very rare requirement.

> Ciao,
> Sheldon.

Cheers,