Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 09:02:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@bitbox.follo.net>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serious performance issue with 2.2.5-RELEASE

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 1997 at 08:23:58AM -0700, Charles Mott wrote:
> > > You've not had any problems with 2.2.2?  We've been having problems
> > > with 4-5 seconds random hangs on our 2.2.2 webservers, which seems to
> > > occur mostly on static pages.
> >
> > If you're using the apache web server, it has some fairly elaborate
> > pre-forking and process control.  I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see
> > it have delays if it were near the fork limit or that the number of spare
> > processes waiting for requests is not large enough.
>
> Yes, it is with apache.  It is running with no limits, and with
> MAXUSERS=100 (up from 10, which had the same problems).  The same
> Apache config (exactly) under 2.1-STABLE showed no problems :-(

If MinSpareServers is not large enough, there can be a one second delay in
creating new processes, but this does not explain the 4-5 second delay you
are experiencing.  So I think you are seeing something interesting here.

One thing to do is to put some debug lines in http_main.c, to see where it
might be hanging up.  I see three possible areas: (1) hangup at select(),
(2) hangup due to advisory locking, or (3) new processes cannot be forked
rapidly enough.

[Note: I am not an expert in Apache and have no personal use for it, but I
have been looking at the code to create a generic, semi-object oriented (C
not C++) process management module.  I'll e-mail it to anyone who is
interested.]

  -- Charles Mott