Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 00:52:20 -0700
From:      Jeremy Lockwood <lockwood@csus.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation question

I am attempting to install freebsd on an older platform. It is a homebuilt
conglomeration of a 486dx-33 isa m/b with 4 megs, a tseng labs et4000 video
card and a 120meg hd with about 35 megs of data on a dos partition. the
boot.flp runs what appears to be a successful probe of the system (although
I think it gets the HD geometry wrong) the crashes after the line

Rootfs is 100 KByte compiled in MFS

by saying

Fatal trap 12   = page fault while in Kernel mode
fault virtual address  = 0x0
fault code              = Supervisor read, page not present
Instruction pointer     =0x8:0xf01820
code segment            =base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
Processor EFlags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process         = 1 (swapper)
interrupt Mask          =net tty bio
Pamc : page fault

syncing disks... done

I have tried changing virtually all of the bios settings that could possibly
apply (I can send a list) and eliminated all of the installable probes in
the boot -c option. Why isn't it working

It was able to work on my 486-120 VLB system with no problems.. unfortunatly
I don't want it installed on that system..

Any advice you can give would be appreciated.. thanks

Jeremy Lockwood

"just hit the buggers" --Ringo Starr