Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2017 11:10:21 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Mi=C5=82osz_Kaniewski?= <milosz.kaniewski@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   RSS, cxgbe, netmap and non-TCP traffic

Hello,

I am trying to split my traffic into two flows:
1. TCP traffic
2. Other traffic (non-TCP traffic)

On my NIC (Chelsio T540-CR) I have configured 9 queues (these are
Netmap queues configured with hw.cxgbe.nnmtx/rx sysctl) . Now I would
like to direct TCP traffic to queues 0-7 and non-TCP traffic to queue
number 8. To achieve this I have configured two filters using cxgbetool:

cxgbetool t5nex0 filter 0 proto 6 hitcnts 1
cxgbetool t5nex0 filter 1 hitcnts 1 queue 8 tcbhash 1

And it seems ok because with such configuration non-TCP traffic is
placed only at queue number 8 and TCP traffic is processed by RSS. But
there is a problem because RSS uses all 9 queues and in result some
TCP packets are also distibuted to queue number 8.

My question is how to limit the number of queues that are used by RSS
to 8 (queues 0-7)? I tried to set net.inet.rss.bits to "3" but it doesn't
seems to changes anything.

Thanks for your help.

System information:
freebsd-version: 11.0-STABLE