Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 13:28:09 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Simon Marlow <simonm@dcs.gla.ac.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5 NFS troubles

In the last episode (Feb 10), Simon Marlow said:

> I've been having several problems with NFS (mostly serving, but some
> client trouble too) on my FreeBSD box.  The box exports a few
> filesystems to our local network, using NFSv3 (some of the machines on
> this net don't seem to make NFSv2 mounts).  Here's a rough run-down of
> the problems I've had:
>
> 	- A remote client will hang sometimes.  This is seem most
> 	  often on Sparc/Solaris boxes.  I assumed it was the
> 	  problem mentioned in the section on NFS in the Handbook, and
> 	  duly bought a faster ethernet card (a PCI NE2000 card), but
> 	  the problem still persists.

You might want to try lowering the NFS block size during the mount
( mount -r1024,-w1024 ).

> 	- remote Alpha/OSF3 machines have trouble communicating NFSv3
> 	  (only) with a FreeBSD server, resulting in missing directory
> 	  entries.  I submitted a PR for this one, since
> 	  it's repeatable, but no-one seems to have taken it up.

I get this one too, even with 2.2-stable (don't have a 3.0 machine at
work to test with).  uname -a on my Alpha:

OSF1 redbrick1.emsphone.com V4.0 564 alpha

I "fixed" it by just dropping back to nfsv2 mounts.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com