Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 2004 01:24:00 +0100
From:      Christian Hiris <4711@chello.at>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Daniel Johansson <donnex@gmail.com>
Cc:        Frank Knobbe <frank@knobbe.us>
Subject:   Re: Do I have to rebuild my jails too when I rebuild the server?

--nextPart1143630.KA4oVrsssT

--Boundary-01=_g02xBCDbrDEN7LA

On Tuesday 21 December 2004 00:41, Daniel Johansson wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:31:52 -0600, Frank Knobbe <frank@knobbe.us> wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 12:13:08AM +0100, Daniel Johansson wrote:
> > > I see. So if I've got a synced jail and host then top will work? I
> > > thought top never worked inside jail for some memoryissue or something
> > > like that?
> >
> > No, I was using that as an example for the host. I don't think top will
> > work in a jail.
> >
> > > I think I should go and rebuild my jails too. It's just a bit of work
> > > with three jails, thank god that I've got a fast box :)
> >
> > Not really. Update kernel, then:
> > make buildworld
> > make installworld
> > make DESTDIR=3D/jail1 installworld
> > make DESTDIR=3D/jail2 installworld
> >
> > You only need to compile once.
>
> Hmm true, I just have to buld it once, great!
>
> > > Still the issue with config-files but I think I'll back them up and
> > > just restore them.
> >
> > uhm... we're talking binaries here. I'm not sure why you would need to
> > restore your config files. But making backups is always a good practice.
>
> Hmm my bad, maby installworld doesn't install any new configfiles to
> /etc? Only mergemaster who installes configfiles? Would still be a
> good idea to run mergemaster for the jail to keep the configfiles up
> to date.

Yes, run 'mergemaster -D /your_jails_rootdir' from your host.=20
Answer the question "Use 'd' to delete the old /var/tmp/temproot and contin=
ue"=20
with 'd' or simply type 'yes' when mergemaster asks, if you wish to delete=
=20
what is left of /var/tmp/temproot.=20

I mostly run a small script that runs installworld, cleans out /usr/include=
/*=20
and runs mergemaster for every enabled jail it finds in /etc/rc.conf. I run=
=20
it on 5.3. The bad thing is, that it depends on ng_rc-style rc.conf, so it=
=20
doesn't work on 4.11. However, if you will ever run 5.3 - feel free to use=
=20
it, modify it or recycle-bin it.=20

=2D-=20
Christian Hiris <4711@chello.at> | OpenPGP KeyID 0x3BCA53BE=20