Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 06:40:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/26261: silo overflow problem in sio driver

The following reply was made to PR i386/26261; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To: WATANABE Kiyoshi <aab10490@pop16.odn.ne.jp>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, richw@webcom.com
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 23:32:33 +1000 (EST)

 On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, WATANABE Kiyoshi wrote:

 > > Silo overflows are caused by non-sio hardware hogging the bus or by
 > > interrupt latency outside the driver.  They should never occur at low
 >
 > I agree.
 >
 > > speeds like 115200 bps even on 386/20's (except in -current, where
 > > interrupt latency outside the driver is certainly broken enough to
 > > matter even on 486DX2/66's).
 >
 > I guess that INTR_TYPE_FAST flag is  suspicious.
 > Only sio, cy, and loran use this flag.

 It is the main thing that is supposed to make silo overflows not happen.
 I don't know of any bugs in it.

 > but I cant get silo overflows in my Celeron-700Mhz/i810 machine.
 > so I cant test.

 You can probably get them by removing the INTR_TYPE_FAST flag :-).  Try
 toggling the caps lock key while input is arriving.  For some (most?)
 keyboards, setting the LEDs takes 2-5 msec.  Tty interrupts are disabled
 while the LEDs are being set, and 2-5 msec is long enough to cause silo
 overflows.

 Bruce