Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 12:38:46 +0100 (GMT+0100)
From:      "Alain FAUCONNET" <af@biomath.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD vs Linux

> 	I use both.  I'm more familiar with Linux.
> 	I'd pose the following decisions on your tree:
>
> 		Robust high speed TCP/IP:  FreeBSD +5, Linux -10
> 		High performance for local applicatons:  Linux +5, FreeBSD -2
> 		Diversity of Applications: Linux +10, FreeBSD +5
> 		Integration of Applications with OS: Linux -15, FreeBSD +10
>
> 	Others?

I use both too (actually I'm a newcomer to FreeBSD,  I've  been  using
Linux for a long time, as well as many different flavors of Unices  on
workstations and servers).

Here is my very subjective (of course) contribution:

* Integration with the DOS/Win world: Linux +10, FreeBSD -10
* Integration with the Unix world: Linux -10, FreeBSD +10
* Availability of pre-compiled binaries and ports for non-commercial software:
			Linux +10, FreeBSD 0
* Availability of commercial software: Linux +10, FreeBSD -5
* Organization of releases, ease of upgrade: Linux -5, FreeBSD +10
* Size of the "supporting, using and contributing masses": Linux +10,
			FreeBSD 0

My laptop (mostly stand-alone, some FTP, telnet generally through PPP)
runs  Linux  and  I  probably  will  stick to it. My main desktop work
machine  (tightly  integrated into our network, heavy use of NFS) runs
FreeBSD    now,    and    I'm    much   happier   than   with   Linux.

For what it's worth,
_Alain_

--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE