Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 1996 16:43:10 -0600
From:      Charlie Sorsby <crs@swcp.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hylafax -- Help!

What must I do to set up the hylafax suite on FreeBSD?  The man
pages speak of a "server" but nowhere (that I've been able to find)
does it say where this server may be found or how to set up the
configuration files or ....

As is too often the case, the documentation seems to assume that
I have some mighty and all powerful system administrator to ask
about all this.  Unfortunately, I *am* the system administrator.

Has anyone successfully set up hylafax under FreeBSD?  Or, for
that matter, under SunOS?

I'm running FreeBSD 2.1 and XFree86.  Sorry, I don't recall the
version of XF86 but it's the one that ships with FBSD 2.1.

What must I do?

The modem that I have is a microcom DespPorte FAST (don't ask).
And, just like the $50 modems, it assumes a PC running DOS or
Windows or such.  There is a "FaxWorks" diskette that came with
it but so far as I can see, that will be of no help under FreeBSD.

I'm lookinf for a job and it would really be handy to be able to
send FAXes without running to the drugstore.

Thanks for any help.  I apologize if I have neglected to include an
essentilal piece of information.  I know virtually nothing about
FAXs.  I'll happily provide any information that I have it you'll
tell me what it is.  :)

Oh--I'm not committed to hylafax.  If there's something better or
easier to set up in the packages or ports, I'm open to suggestion.
I'd just like to be able to use troff (actually, groff) to create
PostScript files and then FAX to PostScript files as documents.

Best,

Charlie "Older than dirt" Sorsby                         "I'm the NRA!"
       crs@swcp.com crs@hamlet.lanl.gov              Life Member since 1965