Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:17:13 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        bjones@polestar.org, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strange ATA behavior with -STABLE

At 09:54 AM 10/07/2002 -0700, Bill Jones wrote:
>I also find it disppointing that we're discussing whether or not
>this will be fixed in version 4.6.1.  I don't think we have a choice,
>unless we're not going to claim stability anymore.

If the commits/changes _didnt_ get put in you would see a string of emails,

"I also find it disappointing that we're discussing whether or not a whole
slew of modern commonly available and used ATA controllers will not be
supported in version 4.6.1."

>Large IDE drives are cheap and commonplace.

Yes, and Soren's work allows us to use large IDE drives and modern ATA
controllers.

>If we're so willing
>to make FreeBSD work on laptops, then we should at least give a concerned
>nod to the most common disk system in average installation.

Most common what ?  Legacy system ?  Most common out there today ? Most
common  platform someone installs FreeBSD on for the first time ?  The ata
drivers are most certainly broken for some people.  Prior to big changes
Soren made, the ata drivers were most certainly broken for some
people.  Remember when the big round of commits went in last time (wd to
ad), it broke support for certain old CMD based controllers.

FWIW, I have FreeBSD running happily on an old PII-333 laptop just fine
with its old hardware.

Also, have you actually tried with your hardware / setup ?

         ---Mike