Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 12:09:04 +0200
From:      Christoph Hellwig <hch@ns.caldera.de>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Dennis Berger <Dennis.Berger@nipsi.de>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, opengfs-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject:   Re: Porting a new filesystem to FreeBSD

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 02:51:07AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> I think you are misunderstanding me.  There is a SCSI III
> primitive in the drafts that permits multiple masters to
> range lock disk ranges  to a a particular host.  By doing
> this, it permits multiple writers, by guarantees that each
> host will not overlap a write.  It also causes a writeback
> invalidation for other masters, in order to effect a distributed
> cache coherency protocol, without additiona daemons or hardware.

Nice thing but irrelevant until SCSI III is actually in more
widespread use.

> > > Tell me how I can distribute a binary, where it is impossible for
> > > all the code to be under GPL because some of the code is under
> > > another license, yet statically link it with GPL'ed code?
> >
> > I never said that you can redistribute the binary.
>
> Can you explain "The first yes, the second not"?  It's a bit
> cryptic, then...

You can redistribute a FreeBSD cdrom that links gfs into the kernel
at install time.

> The problem is that you have proposed a technical solution which
> is politically impossible.  You have to expect political reasons
> why it is impossible to result from the suggestion.
>
> Basically, you are calling for volunteers to work on something
> they won't be able to use, when it's done.

I don't really care wether there is a FreeBSD (Open-)GFS version.
If you want to create one I'm willing to cooperate wherever possible
as I _really_ hate duplicated efforts.

But I'm not calling for volunteers at all.

> > You can link it withput problem - as long as you don't redistribute the
> > linked product.
>
> I might as well use XFS, then, which is at least being ported to
> FreeBSD...

But XFS is not distributed filesystem.
(So if the port is actually ongoing, could you point me to the source?)

	Christoph