Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:38:23 +0000
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading to Xorg 7.2

--ZfOjI3PrQbgiZnxM

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 12:22:57PM -0800, Kris Anderson wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I was looking at the UPDATING for xorg
> and I am currious about something.
>=20
> Why are those of us doing fresh downloads of the OS
> having to do the upgrade to 7.2? I see that 6.9 is
> installed, why not just make 7.2 the default?

When doing a fresh install, try to avoid installing any extra packages.
It's better to wait and install from ports, to ensure you get the latest
released versions. The packages bundled with each release are out of date
pretty quickly - as the ports maintainers continue to upgrade and improve
what's available, so the static snapshot of the ports tree that gets
installed will be more and more obsolete. I usually don't even install
ports any more from the install media - I prefer to use portsnap to get=20
the latest snapshot, and then crack on with installing whatever it is I
need.

>=20
> In UPDATING
> 20070519:
>   AFFECTS: users of Xorg
>   AUTHOR: kris@FreeBSD.org
>=20
>   Welcome, fearless user!  You are about to embark
> upon a mystical
>   journey to the world of xorg 7.2.
>=20
>   This upgrade procedure is for users of portupgrade.=20
> Users of other
>   upgrade tools should contact the author for the
> corresponding upgrade
>   method for that tool.
>=20
>   It is recommended that you run the xorg 7.2 upgrade
> inside a script(1)
>   session.  This way, if something goes wrong, you
> will have hopefully
>   saved enough information for the developers to debug
> the problem.
>   Make sure you choose a filesystem with lots of space
> for the script
>   output.
>=20
>   # script xorg-upgrade
>=20
>   You may wish to set BATCH=3Dyes in the environment to
> avoid interactive
>   dialogue boxes.
>=20
>=20
> In # script xorg-upgrade, why doesn't the file tell us
> where to get the script and what other files that
> might be needed, or where to go for additional
> guidance on this step? Please update the UPDATING to
> reflect where we're go to get this script. Thank you
> very much.

script(1) in this instance refers to the Unix command script, which
will save all subsequent terminal IO in the file named (in this example)
xorg-upgrade. It is simply a way to record what happened next, in case
something goes wrong, etc.  man script for more details.=20

>=20
> If xorg 6.9 is removed (via pgk_delete
> /var/db/pkg/xorg-* along with any complaints about
> dependencies) do I still need to go through all the
> steps outlined in UPDATING or do I just go in to
> ports/x11/xorg (or where ever the meta gizmo is at
> these days) and do a make install?

If you have removed anything and everything to do with Xorg, then you
are effectively going to be doing a clean install - so you should just
be able to portinstall xorg. It worked this way for me on my laptop
without any hitches. However, you must be certain you don't have any old
X related ports still lurking, or it could blow up.

>=20
> I would have tried pkg_add xorg but I happen to notice
> that it was then trying to fetch 6.2. But then perhaps
> an enviroment variable might needed to be set.
> #pkg_add -r xorg
> Fetching
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-6.2-release/Latest=
/xorg.tbz...
> Done.
>=20
> Is it really fetching 6.2 or is there just a typo
> someplace and it should have read 7.2?

No, it's downloading a prebuilt package suitable for FreeBSD 6.2 (I guess
you're on 6.2?)

>=20
> Well that's enough inquiring for now, hopefully I can
> get the thing going. I'm trying to use the GD library
> for PHP and it just wants to go get X stuff. *sigh*

Yes, it is after all a graphics library! ;-)

HTH

Dan

--=20
Daniel Bye