Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:06:21 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "Sergey S. Kosyakov" <ks@itp.ac.ru>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: select and threads again

Dear John,

Thank you for your quick answer. But there is problem with ILU I trying to
solve. For each operation on each TCP socket ILU starts new thread, which
inturn calls select(). I trace this processes and found that if two threads in
the same time calls select (with timeout=infinity) on different sockets that
only the last thread stays operational. The first thread hangs forever on
select(). May be there are some underwater stones? I compile and link ILU with
"cc -g -pthread", nothing more.

On 29-Jan-99 John Birrell wrote:
> Sergey S. Kosyakov wrote:
> [Charset KOI8-R unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I did not receive answer on previous mail, so again: is select(2) really
>> thread-safe in 3.0R? In detail: can I call select in a number of concurrent
>> threads, e.g., for connection or data waiting? This is essential of Xerox
>> ILU
>> operations in multy-thread mode.
>
> If you link with libc_r, yes.
>
> --
> John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
> CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137

---