Date:      Wed, 06 Dec 2000 01:13:15 +0000
From:      W Gerald Hicks <gehicks@cisco.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lint

[to -chat]

Peter Jeremy wrote:

> >  As to original AT&T compilers; I recently discovered that Plan9 is
> > now "open source" (I haven't looked at the license myself) so it may
> > provide compile sources

It does, looks very interesting too.  License doesn't seem to be as
restrictive as GPL (to me, IANAL, etc).

> I would expect it to be self-contained (ie include the compiler), but
> I haven't checked.  I do recall from an early talk on it by Rob Pike
> that a fair amount of effort went into speeding up the C compiler
> (though I don't know about the code quality).  (I'm also a bit
> uncertain of the degree of open-ness of the license).

The compiler suite appears to be pretty close to C9X and with a fair
investment of effort could be promising.  It doesn't do Elf output,
etc...

I ported a simple plan9 archive extractor to FreeBSD some time ago to
facilitate those wishing to tour the Plan9 sources.

/usr/ports/archivers/9e

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
gehicks@cisco.com